Pequot Library was founded in 1889 by Southport, CT residents Virginia Marquand Monroe (1837 – 1926) and Elbert B. Monroe (1836 – 1894). The Library building, designed by noted American architect Robert H. Robertson, opened to the public in March 1894. It was Mrs. Monroe’s intention that Pequot be as “free as air to all.”
Pequot Library is a destination library listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For over seven generations, Pequot Library has been a cultural beacon of Fairfield County, providing traditional library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. We help children develop a lifelong interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities. Our robust calendar of events includes musical performances, exhibitions, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational, and community events. We integrate our Special Collections of rare books, manuscripts, and archives into our day-to-day services to the community through exhibitions, programs, and hands-on classes and workshops.