Westport Historical Society
The Westport Historical Society, founded in 1889, is an educational organization dedicated to preserving, presenting and celebrating the history of Westport, Connecticut. It is committed to increasing awareness of the importance of preserving our town’s heritage and its historic buildings and landmarks. WHS is a private, non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization, sustained entirely by the generous support of members, donors, grants, program.
Wheeler House, the Society’s headquarters, at 25 Avery Place, Westport, Connecticut, was purchased in 1981. The house, built in 1795, was remodeled in the Italianate style in the 19th Century and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Connecticut Register of Historic Places as well as a Historic Landmark. The house has three Victorian Period rooms and a gift shop. The only octagonal-roof, cobblestone barn in Connecticut, which is on the property, was completely restored over a ten-year period and houses the Museum of Westport History displaying a diorama of the town as it looked toward the end of the 19th Century.
The Society has hosted a series of educational lectures and has mounted a succession of well-received exhibits which have been an important part of the continuing programs presented to the town. Children’s special events, after school, vacation and summer camp programs are offered during the year. House Tours and Garden Tours are regular parts of each year’s program.
WHS is located at 25 Avery Place, Westport, across from Westport Town Hall. To contact us, call 203-222-1424 or visit westporthistory.org